Doom Reboot Details Leaked From QuakeCon
Ok so we might not have any leaked gameplay footage from QuakeCon (hopefully that will change soon), but we do have various snippets of information about the game, some obvious, some less so. During the QuakeCon event various attendee’s were tweeting there experience, so thankfully all that information has been collaborated by NeoGAF user Nirolak.
The details include the game just carrying the title “Doom” and not Doom 4 (as we expected) and it will be an origins story, it will run at 1080p 60fps, there will be no regenerating health as med-packs will be used (just like Wolfenstein: The New Order), it will certainly have that old school feel and guess what? It will be very…very gory! (Shocking I know) and much more details were revealed. It all makes for exciting stuff, let’s just now hope that a gameplay trailer and screenshots materialise sooner rather than later.
Below are all those details revealed on NeoGAF, most of the information was revealed at the event by the executive producer at id Software Marty Stratton.
The information below was tweeted by PC Gamer:
- “The game is called Doom, not Doom 4. It’s an origin game, reimagining everything about the originals.”–Stratton
- “The game begins just outside of a massive research facility on the surface of Mars.”–Stratton
- Today’s reveal will focus on combat, which is what the team has been focusing on.
- First combat mechanic: demons. Mechanical, corrupt, hell knights.
- Second mechanic: guns. Conventional guns. “Big” guns. The double barrel shotgun got a round of applause.
- Doom will focus on high-speed movement and run-and-gun. Just like the old days.
- Just saw some stills of an exterior, street-size level. Some combat will be hand-to-hand.
- There will be a live gameplay demo on stage.
- Doom will run on idTech 6, according to Stratton. Will support 1080p, 60 frames per second.
- Gameplay demo getting started. Tons of gray steel walls, flames, and a shotgun that is comically large.
- A key feature will be stunning enemies with a shot, then smashing their face with your boots. It’s happened five times already.
- A new twist on finding the yellow keycard: year off a corpse’s arm and use it to open a handprint scanner.
- Breaking: barrels just exploded. Repeat, we have exploding barrels.
- Doesn’t look like health regenerates. Enemies drop health when you squish them.
- A demon just ripped the player’s arms off and beat him to death with them. The room is breaking out into a standing ovation.
- An adorable custodial droid is trying to clean up all the blood. It is not succeeding.
- The player is now exploring a dank, Mars cave system. This looks like some of the atmospheric horror from Doom 3.
- The hand-to-hand kill moves are varied and fantastically gory. And here comes the chainsaw.
- There’s a huge variety of enemies on display. Small demons swarming with giant bullet-sponges.
- And the demo ends with the reveal of the giant, horned demon we saw in the teaser. An explosive demo, and more than we thought we’d see.
Via the Twitter account of El Oshcuro, he revealed the following details below:
- We’ll talk about the fast paced competitive multiplayer later”
- Game has a weapon wheel
- Demo was played with an Xbox controller on a PC
Also to wrap this article up, judging by the information below, further details will be revealed next year.
This is an exclusive thing we are doing for attendees as part of our Annual QuakeCon Welcome presentation. We’ll have plenty more to show everyone next year, but we didn’t want another QuakeCon to go by without doing something for the amazing QC community and id supporters that have been with us for more than 20 years.
Doom will release for the PC, PS4 and Xbox One, those that pre-ordered Wolfenstein: The New Order will be granted access to the Doom beta when it launches, no date for the beta has been set as of yet.