#WWE2K20 Release Date, Cover Stars, Campaign and Collector Edition Details Revealed
Yesterday was the 5th of August, so as promised, 2K Games released some information on the forthcoming WWE 2K20. We learned details on the MyCareer and Showcase modes, the cover stars of the game and the various editions that will be available at launch.
First up, it has been revealed that WWE 2K20 will have two cover stars this year, “The Big Dog” Roman Reigns and “The Man” Becky Lynch. A big deal is always made of who the cover star will be and this year we get two WWE Superstars printed on the game sleeve.
However, I am quite excited by the two campaigns this year. Well, I’m not one for the MyCareer mode all that much, but it is interesting to know that finally, the custom character MyCareer campaign will now cater for male and female created characters. We don’t know what the story will entail, but last year we got the Hardy and Wyatt Compounds, which got a bit crazy, so I assume we can expect more craziness this year.
The Showcase mode is where I often find my most enjoyment and last year we saw this campaign return after a few years absence, to tell the story of Daniel Bryan’s WWE career, from the very beginning, his rise to fame, his forced retirement due to injury, right on through to his triumphant comeback. This year’s Showcase mode will focus on the Four Horsewomen of the WWE, Becky Lynch, Charlotte Flair, Bayley and Sasha Banks. From the beginnings in NXT to their huge success on the main roster during the “Women’s Revolution” and becoming among the top pro-wrestlers on the planet.
Over the last couple of years, the Mixed Match Challenge event has been quite popular, where male and female Superstars team together in a mixed tag team tournament. Well now in WWE 2K20, the Mixed Match Challenge will be one of the playable modes. It will be interesting to see if we will get male vs. female one-on-one matches, but probably not.
2K also revealed a tease as to what the post-launch DLC content will be with the WWE 2K20 Originals. Not much is known as of yet, but the content will include “a new playable world and its own unique theme”. Towards the end of the video in the article featuring Xavier Woods, we see concept art of a zombie-like Bray Wyatt and Braun Strowman, which perhaps gives us an indication as to what to expect. Hopefully, we’ll also get new additions and legends to the roster included in the season pass too. Further details on the WWE 2K20 Originals will be revealed in the coming months.
Now let’s get on to the various editions of WWE 2K20 at launch, firstly with the Deluxe Edition, which includes:
- A copy of the game with unique Deluxe Edition packaging including the season pass (which includes all Originals content).
- The Accelerator Pack, which instantly unlocks all unlockables in the game.
- The Kickstart Pack, which unlocks boosts for the MyCareer campaign such as 25 additional attribute points, 8 additional Skill Points for your created wrestler, and 25,000 VC (the campaigns in-game currency). They’ll also be a bonus boosts and tokens.
- Bonus content also includes “The 9th Wonder of the World” Chyna, which is her first appearance in a WWE 2K game, as well as Hulk Hogan “$500 Shirt” and The Rock and Mankind, as the Rock and Sock Connection.
- Finally included in the Deluxe Edition (physical only) is a pack of Limited Edition WWE SuperCards (a mobile game).
Now let’s get on to the Collector’s Edition, known as the WWE 2K20 20th Anniversary of Smackdown Edition, which includes all Deluxe Edition content (as seen above), as well as a wealth of physical items. This edition is also only available for PS4 and Xbox One:
- The physical items included (as well as the WWE SuperCard pack) is an exclusive WWE Smackdown! Ring Skirt Relic Piece from 2002-2008, which is basically a piece of the side ring apron.
- A Limited Edition WWE Smackdown! Legend Autographed Plague for either one of Kurt Angle, Rey Mysterio or Edge.
The WWE 2K20 20th Anniversary of Smackdown Edition has an RRP of £129.99, though it’s £10 more expensive at Game in the UK, as it comes with a steelbook case.
WWE 2K20 will release for PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One on October 22nd.