Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Reveal Trailer, Screenshots, Beta Dates and Collector’s Edition
Finally, we got to see some Call of Duty: Modern Warfare multiplayer in action at the world reveal event. We got a new trailer showcasing some of the Killstreaks introduced back into the series, multiplayer beta details and a collector’s edition that includes some awesome looking Night Vision Goggles. We also got some details on the singleplayer campaign and the Special Ops mode.
We have already been introduced to the close-quarters 2v2 mode known as Gunfight, but we’ll of course also get other popular modes such as Team Deathmatch, Domination and Headquarters. New modes include Cyber Attack, which is said to be a “new spin” on Search & Destroy, Ground War, which is a large scale battle that can house up to 100 players in a match (and it’s not a battle royale mode by the way). They’ll also be other multiplayer modes at launch, to be detailed at a later date.
New gameplay features introduced into multiplayer include bullet penetration without the need of perks, depending on the weapon that you are using of course. We can also breach doors, Rainbow Six style and dark maps will allow you to use Night Vision Goggles. Weapons are also said to have had an overhaul to how they feel and handle, but until we’ve actually played the game, we can’t really speak too much on that, other than trusting the word on those that have played the game.
We also got dates on the multiplayer beta that will take place next month, which will be available to those that pre-order, as well as for those that don’t. Staying with the PlayStation timed-exclusive deal, the beta will be available on PS4 first, then for PC and Xbox One. The beta will also test out Cross-Play on all formats, the beta will run from September 12th to September 23rd.
Below are the beta dates:
- September 12th to 13th (early access for those that pre-order on PS4)
- September 14th to 16th (open to all PS4 players)
- September 19th to 20th (early access to all those that pre-order on PC, PS4 and Xbox One)
- September 21st to 23rd (open to all players on PC, PS4 and Xbox One)
While we are yet to see any singleplayer campaign footage, we did learn of some new details. Much has been said so far, that Infinity Ward aim on creating a very thought-provoking campaign, that is gritty and real, and I can’t wait for that. The campaign will see us play as various international Special Forces throughout Europe and the Middle East. In this rebooted (of sorts) Modern Warfare franchise, we’ll get to encounter iconic characters from the series, such as the already revealed Captain Price. In terms of gameplay, the campaign will bring a variety of gameplay styles from close-quarter, stealth, long-range combat and more.
The additional mode Special Ops, much like in previous games in the series, will be playable on your lonesome or in co-op. You will be tasked with a variety of missions to take on, while attempting to earn the best grade possible. Also, whether it’s the singleplayer campaign, online multiplayer or Special Ops, all modes will have a unified progression system.
For PC players, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare will have some extra love and attention, such as being fully optimised and just like Black Ops 4, it will be available via Battle.net (which won’t please all). The PC version will also be developed not only by Infinity Ward, but also Beenox with PC exclusive features including an uncapped framerate, wide screen and multiple monitor support, HDR support, an FOV (Field of Vision) slider, as well as extra love and care for mouse & keyboard support.
Finally, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare will have an awesome collector’s edition, which includes Night Vision Goggles. Now there were some NV goggles with the Modern Warfare 2 Prestige Edition and while they were fun, they weren’t of the best quality, but these look on another level.
Night Vision Goggle features:
- Left and right focus adjustment sliders.
- Power on and off switch.
- Night Vision mode adjustment:When operating at Night Vision mode, you can switch between a black and white screen, and the default blue screen.
- Long Range IR mode:Toggle to this mode and the NVG operates at full power and emits a (barely visible) ring of red light. This mode allows you to see up to 65 feet (20 meters) in complete darkness.
- Hinge Release button:Press this to flip the goggles up when you wish to wear, but not use them. Press again to flip down to wear the goggles again.
- Eye Width and Distance Adjustments:There are left and right knobs that adjust the transverse displacement, and a pair of buttons to release and lock a slide to adjust the distance between the goggles and your eyes.
- USB Charging Port:Beneath a soft lid on the left side of the goggles is a USB charging port. Plug this into a suitable USB charging cord to charge the goggles.
Included in the Dark Edition along with the Night Vision Goggle and Display Stand, is the game and a Steelbook case. There will also be some digital content such as a Custom Tactical Knife, the All Ghillied Up, Crew Expendable and War Pig Operator Packs. The Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Dark Edition will have an RRP of £179.99/$199.99USD.
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare will release for PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One on Friday, October 25th. Are you excited for the new Modern Warfare and will you pick up the Dark Edition? Let us know across our social media channels.
If you missed yesterday’s stream, you can watch the entire reveal below.