Red Dead Redemption 2 Smashes Opening Weekend Sale Records in All of Entertainment
Rockstar Games has announced that Red Dead Redemption 2 has smashed multiple sales records for the opening weekend in all of entertainment, not just in the video game media, but literally all of entertainment, even smashing opening cinema weekend sale records.
Worldwide, Red Dead Redemption 2 generated over $725m in retail sales (about £665m) within its first three days. It is only second to that of Grand Theft Auto V which generated over $1 billion in its first three days of sale.
Red Dead Redemption 2 also achieved the highest number of PlayStation Network digital pre-orders, the highest day-one sales and the highest sales in the first three days of all time. Below you’ll find a quick rundown of the records broken with the release of this epic Wild West tale:
- Biggest opening weekend in retail sell-through across all entertainment releases;
- Second biggest launch (three days) in retail sell-through across all entertainment releases;
- Biggest entertainment launch of 2018;
- Most pre-ordered full game ever on PlayStation Network;
- Biggest day one full game sales ever on PlayStation Network;
- Biggest first three days full game sales ever on PlayStation Network.
I’m currently playing through Red Dead Redemption 2 right now, however as we don’t have the luxury of early copies such as the big gaming websites, you can expect our impartial review within the next couple of weeks.